January 16, 2017

Whimsy Butterflies Stencil "How - to"


Hello All and Happy Monday! Did you see the awesome newly released Butterflies Stencil in the Whimsy store? I love how versatile it is and want to share some ideas with you on how to use it in different ways.

The stencil is 4 x 6 inches in size and 0.188mm in thickness. It is made using a smooth plastic and both sides have a slightly shiny surface which makes clean up real easy. To enjoy your stencil for a long time I recommend storing it flat and clean it up right after each use.
*NEW Butterflies Stencil
Sponging with inks, paints and stains are one of the most common techniques to use stencils. While you can achieve beautiful effects with these techniques, I love to add dimension to my cards and projects.
Here I am using a 3D paste with a nice pearlescent pink shimmer (Nuvo Embellishment Mousse). I've placed the stencil over my cardstock and secured it with some Washi tape to keep it from shifting. (I always work on a Teflon sheet covered work space - makes cleaning up ink and pastes a breeze as well as tape/glue removal.) Applying the paste with a spatula is best but a popsicle stick will work too if you don't have a spatula.

Carefully lift the stencil from the cardstock not to smudge your image. Let the 3D paste dry. Clean up your stencil with warm water and soap immediately.
Another way to achieve a dimensional effect is using modeling paste. Apply it the same way as you would the 3D paste.

Leave it like it is and let dry for a more simpler look - or after it's dried you could re-attach the stencil and sponge the butterflies with ink.


For some more bling add glitter to the still wet modeling paste and let dry. Clean up your stencil with warm water right after you're done. Don't let the modeling paste dry on the stencil. This might ruin your stencil.
Using your stencil with the heat embossing technique gives a nice dimensional effect as well:
Prepare your paper for heat embossing and then place your stencil over the paper. Secure it with Washi or masking tape so it wont shift.
Thoroughly apply embossing ink - I used Versmark. Carefully remove the stencil and applu embossing powder immediately. Heat set from underneath.


Depending on your choice of embossing powder you can achieve different effects - metallic, pearlized, opaque, distressed etc.
Use the stencil together with the Copic airbrush system:
I used Washi tape again to hold the stencil in place and to cover the areas (in my case butterflies) I did not want to add color to.


 It works quite well, what do you think? I used two different shades of  teal to get some more effect.


The smooth and shiny surface of the stencil is easy to clean. Just use rubbing alcohol to clean your stencil from the Copic over spray. This will not damage your stencil!


An absolute fun technique is "Stamping through your Stencil":
First use the sponging technique to apply color the the butterflies. I used distress inks in yellow and a darker orange color. Let dry.


Now choose a stamp with a pattern that will fit your stencil. I chose a flower stamp set called "Friendly Flowers".  Yes, it is a clear set from Whimsy and will be released in February *sneak peek* ;-) Text or script stamps work well too. I stamped using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink.


Remove the stencil and voila! You have a very nice contrasting effect. I used Memento and Distress inks, both dye inks, which will clean up nicely from your stencil. Pigment ink might leave some stains on your stencil and StazOn for sure does.
I stamped more grass at the bottom to match the butterflies and added little antennas to the butterflies with a very fine Copic Multiliner Pen.


Here's the finished card. The sentiment is from the newly released "Flight of the Butterflies" clear stamp set.
Thanks for visiting and I hope you liked my stencil tips. Don't forget to share all your Whimsy creations over in our facebook group. We love to see what you create!


Hugs & Luv,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time and leaving me some love! It's greatly appreciated and just made my day! :-)